The Red Room Company relies on the generous support of individuals, corporations, government funding bodies and philanthropic foundations.
- Australian Association for Teaching English
- i2i DESIGN
- National Museum of Australia
- NT Writers' Centre
- NZATE - New Zealand Association of the Teaching of English
- PK Mag
- S&J Media
- Spine Out Magazine
- Arts NSW
- Australia Council for the Arts
- Catalyst - Australian Arts and Culture Fund
- Copyright Agency Limited - Cultural Fund
- Good Reading
- Graeme Wood Foundation
- REX Regional Express
- S & J Media
- The Australia Council for the Arts
Visit our online store to purchase publications and materials from this project. The Red Room Company is a not-for-profit organisation. All funds raised support the ongoing work of The Red Room Company.
You hold the sea when the sea cannot be held
What is anything else in the world when your light shines
A diffracted oasis against the wall?
~ from 'Sea Glass' by Kimberley, Darwin High School, NT
What is Red Room Poetry Object?
Red Room Poetry Object is a poetry writing competition inviting young writers and their teachers to submit poems about special and curious objects. The competition is open to students in Years 3-10 and teachers from Australia and New Zealand. In 2016, Poetry Object linked over 172 school communities and published over 3000 student and teacher poems. Explore Winning and Highly Commended Poems »
Poems will be judged by celebrated poet, essayist and writing teacher Mark Tredinnick. Find out what makes a winning poem »
Poetry Object will close for submissions on Friday 22 September 2017.
Certificates of Achievement are awarded to all participants, with special prizes awarded for Winning Student Poem (Primary), Winning Student Poem (Secondary), Winning Teacher Poem, and Winning School Installation. Discover the prizes for Poetry Object 2017 here »
How to Get Involved
- Register your schoolto begin submitting poems for Poetry Object 2017.
- Explore our Poetic Learning Resourcefor guides to writing and teaching poetry
- Bring a poet to your schoolfor a special introduction to Poetry Object
- Book a BOSTES/NESA-accredited Professional Development workshop for teachers
- Not a teacher? Print this note to give to your child's teacher.
Poetic Learning Resources
In collaboration with the National Museum of Australia, Good Reading Magazine and teachers across the country, we have created a new learning resource for Poetry Object 2017. With a focus on exploring the inner worlds of special objects, our learning resource can be used in the classroom to guide students and teachers as they uncover the magic behind their Poetry Objects. We are excited to release the new learning resource with the launch of Poetry Object in 17 April 2017.
Our 2017 creative learning resource will feature commissioned poems from emerging and established poets across Australia. These imaginative works will introduce young writers and teachers to the limitless possibilities of language as they dive into the worlds of their special objects.
To book a workshop or to find out more about Poetry Object email email@example.com or phone 02 9519 5090.