Karamu High School, NZ
The Disappearing, 2013
All student poems
- Abbey D. - Broken
- Bethany - Back Scratchers
- Caitlin - Ki te kahore he whakakitenga ka ngaro te iwi
- Holly - Concrete Beachfront
- Jack - The End
- Justin A. - hand-held metropolis
- Laurie - Scratches and scrawls
- Oliver - The long white cloud; sky prisoner
- Phoebe - Taylor's Mistake
- Rebecca W. - You Smell of Cigarettes
- Scarlett - Dark body
- Shannon H. - Hospital Hill
Karamu High School is the main co-educational state high school within the city of Hastings, New Zealand, for students in Years 9 to 13.
On Saturday 13th July, The Red Room Company ran its first 'international' education workshop with Karamu High School in Hastings, New Zealand.
Local poet, Hannah Mettner, worked with students to create poems for The Disappearing that trace journeys and chart disappearing histories across New Zealand (can be read in playlist above).
Read the students' poems here.
Hannah Mettner also composed a poem for the school, ''The Invisible Mother’, available on the app and the Red Room website (or view above in playlist).
Hannah Mettner is a writer from the small town Gisborne, New Zealand, who lives and works in Wellington. She has a Masters in Creative Writing (Poetry) from the IIML, Victoria University, where she also teaches. She has had poems published in JAAM, Turbine, Sport and Hue and Cry.