Red Room Poetry Fellowship
The Red Room Poetry Fellowship recognises the achievements and artistic goals of contemporary Australian poets. Now in its third year, the Fellowship was established to foster poetic and professional development of an individual within the wider poetic community, encouraging poets to undertake an intensive period of creative development involving a range of commissions, residency, recordings and publication outcomes.
Announcing the Red Room Poetry Fellow for 2019
We’re delighted to announce Jeanine Leane as our 2019 Red Room Poetry Fellow. Jeanine’s proposal ‘Voicing the Unsettled Space: Rewriting the Colonial Mythscape’ deeply moved the judges and we’re grateful to support this essential ‘reappearing’ of voice through the resurfacing, and rising of poetic stories on Country.
Read Jeanine's Statement and the Judging Notes
Special thanks to our judges, Luke Fischer and Gloria Demillo, and the generous individuals who support the Red Room Poetry Fellowship.
View the 2019 Fellowship shortlist
The Red Room Poetry Fellowship shortlist for 2019 is a luminous reflection of the calibre of creative individuals that we’ve worked with over the past 16 years.
The successful Fellow will receive:
- $5000 poetic stipend “no strings”
- $1000 commission to create a suite of poems inspired by an existing Red Room project
- A two-week residency at Bundanon Trust (26 June 2019 - 9 July 2019)
- Travel assistance
- Paid professional employment (delivering 3 poetic workshops)
- Opportunity to present a public address during the year-long Fellowship
It is expected that the Fellow will complete all activities within 12 months of announcement of the Fellowship, unless otherwise agreed. Applications are open exclusively to poets previously commissioned by Red Room Poetry. There is no cost to apply.
How to apply for the Fellowship
Complete the online application form, attach your CV, three recent poems, high-res headshot and bio and a cover letter (1000 words max) addressing the criteria. Applications re-open December 2019.
2020 Fellowship Timeline
- Applications open Wednesday, 11 December 2019
- Applications close 5.00pm Monday, 9 March 2019
- Expert Arts Panel review applications
- Winning Fellow announced on World Poetry Day, Sat 21 March 2020
- 2021 Fellowship applications re-open December 2020
Find out more
- See Fellowship 2019
- See Fellowship 2018
- See Fellowship 2017
- email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
While this Fellowship is currently only open to previously commissioned Red Room Poets, we're always looking for new voices for upcoming poetic projects. If you're interested in a Red Room Poetry commission, email email@example.com with a copy of your CV, a suite of your best poems, as well as the kind of projects in which you are interested.