Workshop Costs and Structures
Red Room Poetry is a not-for-profit organisation. We pay poets based on Australian Society of Authors rates ensuring professional standards and the future of Australian literature.
All workshop activities are tailored to suit the student group. Possible workshop structures include a poet-in-residence with multiple short workshops, intensive 1-2 day workshops, professional development workshops, or 30-45 minute poetry readings for larger groups. Workshop structures and times are negotiable.
We recommend workshops with a maximum of 30 students per poet.
Having a poet live in the classroom is something students never forget. It enlivens experiences with poetry and awakens their imaginations. Student poems from intensive poetry-writing workshops are published on the Red Room Poetry website.
• Per school session (max. 1 x 2 hour session) = $550 + GST
• Half school day (max. 2 x 1.5 hour sessions) = $650 + GST
• Whole school day (max. 3 x 1.5 hour sessions) = $950 + GST
• Poet-in-residence weekly school rate - including poem commission (max. 5 days - average 3 sessions per day) $3,550 + GST
The rates above are for metro areas where a local poet is available. All efforts are made to source local poets, where possible. Rates are inclusive of all workshop costs (poet fees, travel, resource preparation). Regional and remote schools should contact email@example.com to arrange a quote.
Digital Student Workshops
Let us stream a poet into your classroom for a live, interactive workshop experience.
• Digital workshop (max. 1 x 1.5 hour session) = $400 + GST
Poet reading with Q&A
These 30-45min sessions give your students an engaging introduction to poetry with a poet reading and discussion of their work with students and teachers for a small class right up to a whole school experience. Please contact us for a quote.
Commission your visiting poet to write an original poem for your school.
• Poem commission = $130 + GST
We believe that all students should have equal access to our programs. If your school is part of the Priority Schools Funding Program or you believe your school should be eligible for a subsidised program, please contact our Poetic Learning team to discuss your eligibility for one of our limited program subsidies via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Program style, options:
1. A poet-in-residence over one term with up to four visits (additional visits are possible depending on school budget and poet availability). During these visits the poet works with the class on the writing, reading, performance and publication of their (the students) original poetry. Included in the workshops are discussions about and readings from the visiting poet. It culminates in a final performance and showcase of the student work, for a public or private audience.
2. A poet-in-residence over one or two full days: This is a truncated version of the above. Because of the shortness of these workshops there is less time for individual students to work on their poems and for the general school community to be part of the project.
3. Professional development: Workshops led by poets specifically for teachers featuring new and inspired ways to teach poetry in the classroom. Teachers engage in both the writing and performing of their own poetry. Workshop duration negotiable.
4. Poet reading with Q&A: A 30-45 minute session in which the poet reads and discusses their work with students and teachers.
Each project is unique, so contact us to discuss program structures and rates.
Teacher Professional Development
Re-invigorate your work with poetry with one of our Professional Learning sessions that include poetry exercises devised by contemporary Australian poets.
Our Professional Development Workshops are NESA NSW Endorsed, and a participation certificate will be sent for self-arranged points. We can design professional learning programs that speak directly to your school’s current focus and student needs.