Poetry Object Australia – Terms and Conditions
Thank you for participating in Poetry Object, Australasia’s largest free poetry-writing competition for young people. Poetry Object ignites imaginations by inviting young writers and their teachers to create poems inspired by treasured, curious or talismanic objects.
You must be an Australian student or young person (aged 18 and under) or an accredited teacher to enter the competition.
Red Room Poetry program materials are copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study, research, criticism or review as permitted under the Copyright Act 1968, no part may be reproduced by any process without permission. Enquiries should be made to Red Room Poetry.
All Poetry Object materials copyright © remain with Red Room Poetry and poem authors.
Phone: (+61 2) 9319 5090
Terms and Conditions
Note: Clause 11. was amended 10th June 2020
- Poetry Object awards prizes to young people (aged 18 and under) and accredited teachers, across Australia. All types of mainstream schooling systems are eligible to register, as well as home schools, GAT programs, special needs groups, alternative education and individual young writers.
- Submissions are welcomed from individuals outside the above parameters for year level and locations.
- Entries must be the writer’s original work of no more than 20 lines and must be in some way inspired by a curious, special or talismanic object.
- Entries are judged anonymously by external judges. Judging decisions are final and due to the volume of submissions, individual feedback cannot be provided.
- Poem submissions can be made by students and teachers via this online form. Entries must include either a teacher’s or guardian’s name/email address. Entries sent by email will not be accepted.
- Multiple entries are not permitted. Please submit only one poem.
- Poems submitted must be original works written by an individual author.
- Poems submitted must not infringe upon anyone’s copyright.
- Poems that are deemed to be works of plagiarism will be disqualified.
- Copyright of the poem remains with the poet.
- All submissions will be read by our team after the closing date. Shortlisted and winning poems will be published on the Red Rom Poetry website and select poems will be published by Poetry Object partners.
- By submitting, you give Red Room Poetry and Copyright Agency permission to quote excerpts of your poem in our external communications (surnames of young people will not be published).
- The closing date for entries is 5pm Friday 10 July 2020 (AEST).
- Shortlisted poets will be announced on Friday 7 August 2020 (AEST).
- The winning poets will be announced on 21 August 2020 (AEST) online by Red Room Poetry and Copyright Agency, and via a live-streaming announcement at the Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences.
- Prize details and judging information can be found here.