Writing Water submission guidelines
At a time of great environmental change, what does our relationship with water look like? From vital organs, oceans and pipelines, to flood, drought and drowning, look below the surface to submit a poem to our Writing Water: Rain, River, Reef chapbook.
You must be an Australian citizen or resident to submit to Writing Water,
Red Room Poetry program materials are copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study, research, criticism or review as permitted under the Copyright Act 1968, no part may be reproduced by any process without permission. Enquiries should be made to Red Room Poetry.
All Poetry Object materials copyright © remain with Red Room Poetry and poem authors.
Phone: (+61 2) 9319 5090
Terms and Conditions
- Entries must be the writer’s original, unpublished work and must be in some way inspired by water
- Please place up to three poems in one Word document, omitting any identifying details in the document itself.
- Submissions should be sent through to the email address provided, along with your name, phone number, email address, postal address in the email body.
- Entries are judged anonymously. Judging decisions are final and due to the volume of submissions, individual feedback cannot be provided.
- Simultaneous submissions are permitted but we'd appreciate it if you let us know if your poem/s are accepted elsewhere.
- Contributors who are selected will receive an AU$60 publication fee for their poem, with the opportunity to donate their fee back to support Red Room Poetry's work.
- Poems submitted must be original works written by an individual author.
- Poems submitted must not infringe upon anyone’s copyright.
- Poems that are deemed to be works of plagiarism will be disqualified.
- Copyright of the poem remains with the poet.
- All submissions will be read by our team after the closing date.
- By submitting, you give Red Room Poetry permission to quote excerpts of your poem in our external communications.
- Entries remain open throughout June, with a firm closing date defined soon.
Ready to submit?
Send your original poems about water, the memories of rivers, rain and reefs that connect us to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to submit
- Attach your submission as a Word .doc or .docx file (three poems max. in one document)
- Name your file "SURNAME-POEM TITLE.doc"
- Please include your full name and contact information
(phone number, email address, postal address) in the email body.
Return to Writing Water: Rain, River, Reef