Red Room Poetry Fellowship 2020
the ancient ones –
dead but not gone – their blood flows through us – gawimarra us
listen – the dead speak all the time…
~ from ‘The Gatherers’ by Jeanine Leane, Red Room Poetry Fellow 2019
The Red Room Poetry Fellowship 2020 recognises the achievements and artistic goals of contemporary Australian poets. Now in its fourth year, the Fellowship was established to foster poetic and professional development of an individual within the wider poetic community, encouraging poets to undertake an intensive period of creative development involving a range of commissions, residency, recordings and publication outcomes.
Applications are open only to poets previously commissioned by Red Room Poetry. There is no cost to apply.
The 2020 Fellow will receive
- $5000 poetic stipend “no strings”
- $1000 commission to create a suite of poems inspired by an existing Red Room Poetry project
- A two-week residency at Bundanon Trust (Wednesday 26 August – Wednesday 16 September 2020)
- Travel assistance
- Paid professional employment (delivering three poetic workshops)
- Opportunity to present a public address during the year-long Fellowship
It is expected that the Fellow will complete all activities within 12 months of the announcement of the Fellowship unless otherwise agreed. Applications are open exclusively to poets previously commissioned by Red Room Poetry.
2020 Fellowship Timeline
- Applications open Wednesday 11 December 2019
- Applications close 5:00pm Monday 9 March 2020
- Expert Arts Panel judge applications
- Winning Fellow announced on World Poetry Day, Saturday 21 March 2020
- Two-week residency at Bundanon Trust, Wednesday 26 August – Wednesday 16 September 2020
How to apply for the Fellowship
Before commencing your application please read the Terms and Conditions. Applications can be made via this online application form. Please attach your CV, three recent poems, high-res headshot and bio and a cover letter (1000 words max) addressing the criteria. Applications re-open 11 December 2019.
Discover past years
- See Fellowship 2019
- See Fellowship 2018
- See Fellowship 2017
- email us at email@example.com
While this Fellowship is currently only open to previously commissioned Red Room Poets, we're always looking for new voices for upcoming poetic projects. If you're interested in a Red Room Poetry commission, email firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your CV, a suite of your best poems, as well as the kind of projects in which you are interested.